Monday, October 5, 2009

Super Six Modified Auto Racing

This section summarizes the history of my open wheel auto racing career - from 1973 - 1982 at the Super Oval Speedway in Boise, Idaho. The experiences racing, building 2 cars, crashes and a couple of championships occurred at a formative time in life - and really shaped my personality and improved my self confidence.

I became quite involved with the sport; served as President of the Racing Association, and learned a lot about people. How ironic that mother always told me to stay away from that "Racing Crowd".... Racing involves a wide range of characters - Lawyers, truck drivers, accountants, and yes, even mechanics too.

Speaking of crashes - the economic crash in 1983 resulted in double-digit unemployment. I too became a casualty, making it necessary to move to Seattle for work - and thus "cutting the cord" from owning and driving race cars. I still loved the sport - but it was time for me to move on and focus on raising my young sons. The lessons and experiences from those racing years served me well in my career and personal life and I treasure them to this day.

I'll add some stories later about:
Dick Sola, Grandma Mason, other
http://chaparralspeedway.tripod.com/id3.html

No comments:

Post a Comment